Monday, September 12, 2016

Cycle 2 Week 4

Timeline:

Bring in fake, homemade campfire. Since it starts with Early Native Americans this week, it would be fun to sing the timeline sitting around the fire. I got this idea from Everyday Memories That cord is to some Christmas lights hidden in the fire. You could plug in your fire and turn the lights off.

I realize this is not stick in the sand and not very doable for a classroom setting. For the classroom you could simply bring in a few sticks and if you wanted add a crumpled up piece of orange or red construction paper on top of it. If this is too much for you just simply use your imagination and pretend there is a fire. You might even want to do a "Indian" walk around the fire while singing.

History:

Tape a large feather to a dry erase marker and have each student come up to the board and "sign" the Magna Carta while singing the History song. 

If you don't have a feather, and don't want to purchase one, here is a simple way to make a quill out of paper.
Image result for make a craft quill

Latin:
I'll split the class in half. One half will stand up and yell the singular endings then sit down while the other half of the class stands up and yells the plural endings. We'll do this a few times then switch sides.

English:

I think I'll be using the Activity Cube for this one. My students have been asking for me to bring it back in! 

Science:

Sing and do motions.
(I'm trying really hard not to post any of the memory work do to copyrighting...so I'm just going to list the motions. I think you'll be able to figure out which cycle each goes with. Thanks for understanding.)

-Wiggle fingers in a downward, rain motion.
-Move hands away from then towards chest to show lungs filling up with air.
-Pretend to dig in the dirt with your hands on the floor.

Math:

7's:  I'll write the 7's on the chalkboard and we'll erase one off (with a paintbrush and water) each time we sing through them. We'll continue until each kids has had a turn with the paintbrush. We did this for the 3's and the kids loved it!

8's:  Dot-to-Dot 
We'll sing through the 8's a few times them I'll pass out the Dot-to-Dot quill and have the kids complete it as we sing through the song. Once it's complete we'll point to the numbers on our Dot-to-Dots and sing through a couple more times.  


Geography:

I'll tell them the geography story I made up while pointing to the locations on the map. We'll locate the rivers together and I'll say the story a few times while they point to the rivers. Then I'll ask them, "What river is this?" and "Can you point to the ______ river?"

(I had to remove the map since I had it on a CC map. I am doing my best to make adjustments.)


Fine Arts: 

I will read the book "The Noisy Paint Box" by Barb Rosenstock. It is about Vasily Kandinsky, one of the first abstract painters.

For our project we will be making 3D hands. Here is a link showing you examples of 3D hands along with a video showing how to draw one yourself.
Image result for 3d hand art drawing abstract

2 comments: